Can we cut it out with the remakes?!
Are you ready for the next… Labyrinth? _Stripes_?! Who is coming up with these remakes, and why can’t we get new material? This week, we’re talking all about the world of fandom, adaptations, reboots, and so on!
In particular, we talk about:
* How money is an important contributor in the sustainability and creation of remakes (and how franchises never die as a result)
* Where reboots and remakes are beneficial, especially when providing a modern take on dated material (and bringing up important issues in modern context)
* How some properties… just don’t age well.
And more! All in under thirty minutes.
## Episode Outline
**Topics:** The risk of ‘new’; the role of money in content production; you can’t make new stuff unless you’re Christopher Nolan; the ease of rebooting old material; modern takes on old classics; franchises; the cult of ‘new’ and the zeitgeist; putting things in the modern world; if I haven’t seen it it’s new to me; video games as distinct from other remakes; properties not aging well; why aren’t classic movies like classic rock?
## Where can I get updates?
If you want to follow us on social media, we’ve got you covered:
* Facebook: [facebook.com/fanthropological](https://facebook.com/fanthropological)
* Twitter: [@fanthropologic](https://twitter.com/fanthropologic)
And of course, we can be found where all fine podcasts are found (e.g. [Spotify](https://open.spotify.com/show/2IVp8MBIUyCqlKyZn79iHn), [Apple Podcasts](https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fanthropological/id1163621210?mt=2), [Google Podcasts](https://www.google.com/podcasts?feed=aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLnBvZGlhbnQuY28vZmFudGhyb3BvbG9naWNhbC9yc3MueG1s)).
Oh, and here at [fanthropological.com](https://fanthropological.com)
## What is Fanthropological?
Every week, our podcast, Fanthropological, delivers about an hour of fandom-related "fanalysis" covering a different fandom every week and giving you hard data, history, special guests, and, of course, speculation!
We cover topics spanning the gamut of anime, manga, comics, video games, comics, movies, books, television, and, in general, geek culture.
## Who are you?
We are the Nickscast! Three products of late-80s / early-90s pop culture who love exploring fandom and everything geek … who also happen to have been best buddies since high school, and all happen to be named Nick.
We started the Nickscast as a labour of love, and as a place to entertain and to discuss our love of fans and fandom. We want to help others learn more about different fandoms, and to create empathy with other fans.
If you want to learn more about us, you can follow us on most social media @thenickscast ([Facebook](https://facebook.com/thenickscast), [Twitter](https://twitter.com/thenickscast), [Instagram](https://instagram.com/thenickscast)), see all of our projects on [thenickscast.com](https://thenickscast.com), or [email us](mailto:[email protected]).
* [Magnet Missiles](https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01816) by [JJT](https://ocremix.org/artist/4540/jjt), [ptitteri](https://ocremix.org/artist/4967/ptitteri), [zykO](https://ocremix.org/artist/4558/zyko) from [http://ocremix.org](http://ocremix.org) used under [ocremix.org content policy](http://ocremix.org/info/Content_Policy#If_you.27re_using_our_content_elsewhere_.28.22Terms_of_Use.22.29%E2%80%A6)
* All other music and sound for this week's episode were provided by Nick Green!
Brought to you by The Nickscast of Fanthropological