What exactly is the significance of gel, and what is it that ties together a series that shares only two words (Tales of)?? This week, we're talking about fans of the _Tales of_ series (e.g. Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Zestiria, Tales of Berseria) with special guest (and Maple Gel Con organizer) Jesi McMulkin!
Next week, we'll be demystifying the world of anime and manga fans a bit as we discuss fans of josei and shoujo... or in layman's terms, anime and manga "for women and girls".
## Where can I learn more about Jesi McMulkin?
If you enjoyed listening to our special guest, Jesi, and want to learn more about the _Tales of_ series, you should definitely checkout [Maple Gel Con](http://maplegelcon.squarespace.com/) in Burlington, Ontario!
## Episode outline
### Fandom Facts
The _Tales_ or _Tales of_ series is a video game series that has been running since 1995 with the release of _Tales of Phantasia_ on the Super Famicom. While there are sixteen main titles, many spin-offs, manga, anime, and audio dramas, the different entries in the series are fairly independent of each other and are mostly linked by their similar gameplay style (in particular, the "Linear Motion Battle System"), and its anime/manga art style. In English-speaking regions, it is generally seen as a niche series but is in the top-running for RPG series in Japan (behind Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest).
[By Google search volume](https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%2Fm%2F038sbw), interest in various Tales-series games has been on a slow decline, with the most interest in the game series occuring between 2003 and 2004 (corresponding to the releases of _Tales of Symphonia_ and _Tales of Rebirth_).
**Size of Fandom:**
One estimate for the size of the fandom would be the number of games sold:
> As of December 2013, the series has sold 16 million units worldwide.
> — [Wikipedia - Tales (series)](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_(series))
This gives us at least some watermark of the dedication of fans, and puts the rough number of fans at something like one million fans (16 million units over 16 games = 1 million fans per game).
Another metric might be the "Tales of" festival in Japan. The seventh such festival in 2014 managed to draw out over 22 000 fans over two days to fill the Yokohama Arena.
Also worth mentioning, the Tales of subreddit boasts an impressive ~11 000 subscribers.
We weren't able to get numbers on fan demographics. A rough estimate, in Japan, at least, from the 2014 Tales of Festival:
> Far from the stereotype of a game otaku sausage party, the crowd at the 2014 event is almost exclusively female.
> "Players of the Tales of series are 70% male and 30% female in Japan, but for events like this it's about 90% female," series producer Hideo Baba tells me at the end of the first day. "Women tend to be more interested in the story and the characters, while men are more interested in the games themselves and messing around with game hardware. So when their favorite game character appears on stage, the sound of screaming female fans is really something."
> — [IGN - WHY 90% OF FANS AT TALES OF FESTIVAL ARE FEMALE](http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/06/26/why-90-of-fans-at-tales-of-festival-are-female)
**Around the world:**
The top 10 countries for search volume around the "Tales of" series are: Japan (by a large margin), Phillipines, Singapore, Puerto Rico, Canada, Malaysia, Hong Kong, France, South Korea, and Indonesia.
**Famous fan works:**
Arguably, the fan translation of "Tales of Phantasia" by DeJap:
> "I bet Arche \*\*\*\*\* like a tiger"
> — [TVTropes - Tales of Phantasia](http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Funny/TalesOfPhantasia)
According to Archive Of Our Own, there are approximately 4500 fanfics related to the Tales of Series (the majority of which are Tales of Zestiria — approximately 1200); FanFiction.net has over 10 000 (the majority of which are Tales of Symphonia — approximately 6 300).
### [Last Episode's](http://fanthropological.com/e/#-name) Famous Last Words
What is it that ties the games together, exactly? (And as such, makes a fandom)
The popularity of Tales of Phantasia in North America grew out of its inability to get it released in North America.
As a series of JRPGs and a fandom around that... how many fan games (e.g. RPG Maker) are there? Which one is most beloved by fans?
Has this fandom gone to other mediums: Books, Manga, Artwork (other adaptations)?
### The Verdict
**Z is in. Tales is great.**
**T is out. Too much of a time commitment.**
**G is in. Knew nothing at first... but the characters and mythology are drawing him in.**
**Jesi is in. Would recommend folks play Tales of Symphonia (or Graces) first.**
### This week's spotlight
[// http://www.tales-for-tales.org/ Stopped in 2015 ]: #
**[Maple Gel Con](http://maplegelcon.squarespace.com/)**
Soon to be in its 3rd year, Maple Gel Con is a convention held in Oakville, Ontario for fans of the series to meet each other and celebrate the various different titles! There are panels, games, a library, karaoke, and more!
[// Plugs go here ]: #
### Famous Last Words
This week's famous last words around *next week's* fandom, Anime / Manga!
In Japan, is Josei / Shoujo (Anime / Manga for girls) regarded as something filled with aspirational messages, or as a cultural edifice that tries to teach more traditional values?
Sailor Moon is the most popular Shoujo / Josei series.
Is there a notable portion of the audience who are grown men (similar to Bronies)? If so, what's their deal?
What is the ratio of success of shoujo / josei to shonen (by whatever measure)?
I'm wondering if it's very well regarded or if it's seen as something silly and frivolous in Japanese culture.
[// Asalia Con, Radiant Northwest ]: #
## Where can you find us online?
We are everywhere! Most notably though, we like to hang out in a few places on social media:
- If you want to help us to create more amazing fannish content, become a patron on [Patreon](http://patreon.com/thenickscast); even as little as a dollar a month pledge really helps us out!
- If you want to be part of our podcast (or just want to check us out), we record our podcast LIVE on [twitch.tv](http://twitch.tv/thenickscast) every monday at 20:00 Eastern Time!
- For all the latest updates, check us out on [Facebook](https://facebook.com/thenickscast) or [Twitter](https://twitter.com/thenickscast)
- To see the latest hijinx from our conventions or even our daily lives and adventures, check us out on [Instagram](https://instagram.com/thenickscast)
- For our latest convention updates, *Let's Plays*, and other in-real-life video, [check out our YouTube channel](http://youtube.com/thenickscast)
- We're also on [iTunes](https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/fanthropological/id1163621210), and [Google Play](https://play.google.com/music/m/Icmngxz7yhaoivdvivvf6q6c2pu?t=Fanthropological), and would love it if you could leave a review and rating!
- if you want to reach us, and for some reason none of those work for you, try [[email protected]
- You can check out [our website](http://thenickscast.com); that will mostly bring you back to this stuff.
- Everything is `thenickscast`, so if you can't find us, go on your social network and search for that!
- ... You're still looking for ways to reach out? You can also use the hashtag `#fanthro` on Twitter!
## What is "Fanthropological"?
How did you read this far without asking this question?!
Fanthropological is an anthropological (ish) podcast where we bring the fan's-eye view to you! Each week, we take a look at a different fandom, dig up interesting background, trivia, and history, and try to get to why it is that people are a fan. We also try to highlight good causes related to that fandom, and find interesting things that fans have created to share those to the world. Each episode is about an hour. Ish.
## Who is "The Nickscast"?
*We* are the Nickscast! Three products of late-80s / early-90s pop culture who love exploring fandom and everything geek ... who also happen to have been best buddies since high school, and all happen to be named Nick. Yes, we are super creative. Dare we say, the most creative.
We are Nick Green, Nick Terwoord, and Nick Zacharewicz: We started the Nickscast as a labour of love, and as a place to entertain and to discuss our love of fans and fandom, and all that is shiny and interesting in that realm. It's what lead us to start our first podcast, our satellite podcasts, Fanthropological, and so much more.
We want to help others learn more about different fandoms, and to create empathy with other fans: We dream of a world where other fans aren't "those Weird-o's", but just folks with different tastes. A world where fandom is full of discourse and analysis, and there are plenty of tools and resources to help. Fans building communities to do good in the world. *Because everyone's a fan.*
Special thanks to Jesi McMulkin for taking the time to chat with us and to help us sort out the technical difficulties of livestreaming with a guest!
- [Wikipedia - Tales (series)](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_(series))
- [IGN - WHY 90% OF FANS AT TALES OF FESTIVAL ARE FEMALE](http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/06/26/why-90-of-fans-at-tales-of-festival-are-female)
- [TVTropes - Tales of Phantasia](http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Funny/TalesOfPhantasia)
- [r/tales - Why do you like the Tales series?](https://www.reddit.com/r/tales/comments/6h6wf6/why_do_you_like_the_tales_series/?sort=top)
- [TheGamer - 15 Reasons The Tales Series Is BETTER Than Final Fantasy](https://www.thegamer.com/15-reasons-the-tales-series-is-better-than-final-fantasy/)
- [r/tales - Being a big Tales fan, but I've only finished one Tales game...](https://www.reddit.com/r/tales/comments/7ebpoz/being_a_big_tales_fan_but_ive_only_finished_one/)
- [r/tales - Should the next Tales finally add blood?](https://www.reddit.com/r/tales/comments/7c43o8/should_the_next_tales_finally_add_blood/)
- [r/tales - How is the combat supposed to "flow"?](https://www.reddit.com/r/tales/comments/79yjmb/how_is_the_combat_supposed_to_flow/)
- [r/tales - How often do you not use the main character in combat?](https://www.reddit.com/r/tales/comments/78so58/how_often_do_you_not_use_the_main_character_in/)
- [AlternateHistory.com - Could Tales of Phantasia have been popular in the US?](https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/could-tales-of-phantasia-have-been-popular-in-the-us.416200/)
- [Retro Junk - Hidden Treasures of 16-Bit: Tales of Phantasia](http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/5088/hidden-treasures-of-16bit-tales-of-phantasia)
- [Abyssal Chronicles - A List of Tales Fangames](http://abyssc.proboards.com/thread/3627/list-tales-fangames)
- [Facebook - Tales Series](https://www.facebook.com/tales/)
- [Freedom Planet Forums - (FANGAME) Tales of Majestica](http://www.galaxytrail.com/forum/index.php?topic=572.0)
- [Game Jolt - Tales of Heroes](https://gamejolt.com/games/tales-of-heroes/17759)
- [GameFAQS - Petit Computer: Tales of Arcanium (A Fan Game)](https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/663843-petit-computer/67128807)
- [GamesBeat - The Tales Series is in Danger of Becoming Irrelevant](https://venturebeat.com/2015/11/18/the-tales-series-is-in-danger-of-becoming-irrelevant/)
- [IGN - Why 90% of Fans at Tales of Festival are Female](http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/06/26/why-90-of-fans-at-tales-of-festival-are-female)
- [Kinephanos - Kawaii Japan: Defining JRPGs through the Cultural Media Mix](http://www.kinephanos.ca/Revue_files/2015_Schules.pdf)
- [Kotaku - Japanese Fans Weigh in on Their Favorite Tales Games](https://kotaku.com/japanese-fans-weigh-in-on-their-favorite-tales-games-511818875)
- [Kotaku - Tales Fans Vote for Their Favorite Characters and More](https://kotaku.com/tales-fans-vote-for-their-favorite-characters-and-more-1584649278)
- [Kotaku - Tales RPGs are like Gumdrops, Says the Guy who Makes Them](https://kotaku.com/tales-rpgs-are-like-gumdrops-says-the-guy-who-makes-th-470869380)
- [r/JRPG - How is Tales of Xillia 2 Perceived by Fans of the Tales Series?](https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/6xj5bo/how_is_tales_of_xillia_2_perceived_by_fans_of_the/)
- [r/Tales - (Discussion) Thoughts on Why Tales Doesn’t Work in the West?](https://www.reddit.com/r/tales/comments/3gxdzl/discussion_thoughts_on_why_tales_doesnt_work_in/)
- [r/Tales - Do You Guys Like this Specific Aspect of Tales Games?](https://www.reddit.com/r/tales/comments/45gwhd/do_you_guys_like_this_specific_aspect_of_tales/)
- [r/Tales - Opinion: Why Tales of Symphonia is so Beloved](https://www.reddit.com/r/tales/comments/56vzfi/opinion_why_tales_of_symphonia_is_so_beloved/)
- [r/Tales - Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Eternia, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia, and even Tales of Graces which People Give a Hard Time, not just some of the best Tales Games I've ever Played, but some of the Best Games I've Played Ever. I don't understand Why this Series is so Underrated.](https://www.reddit.com/r/tales/comments/5mtwny/tales_of_symphonia_tales_of_eternia_tales_of_the/)
- [r/Tales - Why Do We Love Tales so much When They're not Even Critically Acclaimed or not Amazing Games Objectively?](https://www.reddit.com/r/tales/comments/37erdl/why_do_we_love_tales_so_much_when_theyre_not_even/)
- [r/Tales - Why do You Like the Tales Series?](https://www.reddit.com/r/tales/comments/6h6wf6/why_do_you_like_the_tales_series/)
- [Siliconera - Tales Games Aren’t RPGs, Says Tales of the Abyss Producer](http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/23/tales-games-arent-rpgs-says-tales-of-the-abyss-producer/)
- [Tales of | News - Exciting announcements awaits ‘TALES OF’ fans!](http://www.talesofgame.com/en/exciting-announcements-awaits-tales-of-fans/)
- [The Gamer - 15 Reasons the Tales Series is Better than Final Fantasy](https://www.thegamer.com/15-reasons-the-tales-series-is-better-than-final-fantasy/)
- [TV Tropes - Fan Myopia](http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanMyopia)
- [YouTube - ACS Tales of Fangame / Jade Curtiss / Tales of the Abyss / No Me Aguante](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilfgv3FgYJM)
- [Youtube - Tales of a Twist--ToS Fangame](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlXy1YOoWX0)
### Music / Sound
- End music _"Fighting Spirit"_ from various entries in the _Tales of_ series performed by [Arny Undercover](https://soundcloud.com/arnyundercover/fighting-of-the-spirit-cover)
- All other music and sound for this week's episode were provided by Nick Green!
- ["Glasses"](https://thenounproject.com/term/glasses/132894) by [Anton Anuchin](https://thenounproject.com/antonwebium) used under [CC BY 3.0](http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/)
- [“Fantasy”](https://thenounproject.com/term/fantasy/1190615) by [lastspark](https://thenounproject.com/lastspark) used under [CC BY 3.0 US](http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/)