[// Pregenerate link to episode ahead of time: - clicktotweet.com- sharelinkgenerator.com]: #
This week, special guest Tyler "Spooky" Mann joins us a special guest friend to dig into the surprisingly large and _obviously_ magical world of Disney... theme parks! How many hidden Mickeys can you find?
Plus, this episode was so long that we broke it into two parts! Be prepared for the second half!
## Where can I learn more about Tyler?
Tyler happens to run his own podcast, [Ride Rehab](http://riderehab.com), where he and his co-hosts put themselves in the role of Disney imagineers (i.e. the folks that make rides) and figure out how they would update different attractions at Disney! You can find lots of details about that via [Twitter](http://twitter.com/riderehab) or [Instagram](http://instagram.com/riderehab) both @RideRehab.
And, if you haven't got enough of Tyler, you can check out his personal art (as he _is_ a comic artist and illustrator): [tylermannart.com](http://tylermannart.com) or [@TylerMannArt](https://twitter.com/TylerMannArt) on Twitter.
## Episode outline
### Fandom Facts
**History and Origins:**
> Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, officially Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide, Inc. and informally known as Disney Parks, was one of The Walt Disney Company's four major business segments and a subsidiary. The company was responsible for the conception, building, and managing of Disney theme parks and vacation resorts, as well as a variety of family-oriented leisure enterprises. It was founded in 1971, following the opening of Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Florida.
> — [Wikipedia - Walt Disney Parks and Resorts](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_Parks_and_Resorts)
[// 11 theme parks]: #
Interest in Walt Disney theme parks [hasn't changed much since 2004](https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%2Fm%2F09b1k,%2Fm%2F02fzs,%2Fm%2F04tkqm); though interest in Walt Disney World is about half the interest as in 2004, Disneyland is about the same as it was. Search data is highly periodic, with spikes occurring regularly every January and interest slowly dropping throughout the year.
There is definitely an east-west divide in the United States, in terms of interest: folks in, or east of Colorado are more likely to search for Walt Disney World than Disneyland, for example.
The top ten countries, by search volume, for Walt Disney World are: United States (by a large margin), Puerto Rico, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Argentina, Australia, Norway, South Africa, and Mexico.
**Size of Fandom:**
Based on the data we have:
- [r/disneyparks](https://www.reddit.com/r/disneyparks/) has almost 10000 subscribers
- The Magic Kingdom receives over 56 000 guests per day (with park capacity around 100 000), and over 20 million visitors per year according to this [quora question](https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-visit-Disney-World-each-day-What-affects-attendance).
- [r/disneybound](https://www.reddit.com/r/disneybound/) has about 2000 subscribers
- [r/WaltDisneyWorld](https://www.reddit.com/r/WaltDisneyWorld/) has almost 60 000 subscribers
That puts a good rough estimate in the _tens of thousands_ (if we're talking about dedicated fans), but its super hard to say given that fans of the parks are often fans of Disney properties in general.
We weren't able to find a lot of demographics in terms of fandom, but there are some interesting statements based on data from the park and related sources:
> ... the average visitor has the disposable income. The average annual household income for guests at theme parks was $86,000, according to the study. That’s twice the $43,000 that residents in Greater Orlando bring home and way above the $55,775 median annual household income nationwide, according to the most recent data from the U.S. Census Bureau.
>... The report found that 18-29 year olds are the largest group of theme park visitors at 46 percent - a nearly 10 percent increase from 2015. This generation was also the most impressed with technology with 59 percent saying it made them more likely to return and 44 percent say tech gadgets encourage them stay longer.
> — [Orlando Rising - Theme park demographics changing: Higher incomes and more millennials](http://orlando-rising.com/theme-park-demographics-changing-higher-incomes-and-more-millennials/)
[// There are over 1000 results for disneyland on archive of our own. Popular destination for characters?? ]: #
### [Last Episode's](http://fanthropological.com/e/#-name) Famous Last Words
How many days does it take to get through Disney world (all of it)?
[// If you're just talking the Magic Kingdom: 3.49km. Add Epcot (4.47km), Hollywood Studios (2.23km), and Animal Kingdom (3.65km): That's 13.69km. At the average walking speed, that's about 2.7 hours if it was all arranged in one path. ]: #
What are some of the biggest Disney park failures?
[// Alien Encounter: Too scary, changed into Stitch attraction. Defunt land superstar limo]: #
Are Disney fans worried that the magic of the theme parks will be diluted by other franchises popping up?
[// Martin's Vids -> YouTube: Documentaries of all the rides and attractions ]: #
If you are doing a Disney-bound outfit, how close can you get?
## Where can you find us online?
We are everywhere! Most notably though, we like to hang out in a few places on social media:
- If you want to be part of our podcast (or just want to check us out), we record our podcast LIVE on [twitch.tv](http://twitch.tv/thenickscast) every Monday at 20:00 Eastern Time!
- For all the latest updates, check us out on [Facebook](https://facebook.com/thenickscast) or [Twitter](https://twitter.com/thenickscast)
- To see the latest hijinx from our conventions or even our daily lives and adventures, check us out on [Instagram](https://instagram.com/thenickscast)
- For our latest convention updates, *Let's Plays*, and other in-real-life video, [check out our YouTube channel](http://youtube.com/thenickscast)
- We're also on [iTunes](https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/fanthropological/id1163621210), and [Google Play](https://play.google.com/music/m/Icmngxz7yhaoivdvivvf6q6c2pu?t=Fanthropological), and would love it if you could leave a review and rating!
- if you want to reach us, and for some reason none of those work for you, try [[email protected]
- You can check out [our website](http://thenickscast.com); that will mostly bring you back to this stuff.
- Everything is `thenickscast`, so if you can't find us, go on your social network and search for that!
## What is "Fanthropological"?
How did you read this far without asking this question?!
Fanthropological is an anthropological (ish) podcast where we bring the fan's-eye view to you! Each week, we take a look at a different fandom, dig up interesting background, trivia, and history, and try to get to why it is that people are a fan. We also try to highlight good causes related to that fandom, and find interesting things that fans have created to share those to the world. Each episode is about an hour. Ish.
## Who is "The Nickscast"?
*We* are the Nickscast! Three products of late-80s / early-90s pop culture who love exploring fandom and everything geek ... who also happen to have been best buddies since high school, and all happen to be named Nick. Yes, we are super creative (dare we say, the _most_ creative).
We are Nick Green, Nick Terwoord, and Nick Zacharewicz: We started the Nickscast as a labour of love, and as a place to entertain and to discuss our love of fans and fandom, and all that is shiny and interesting in that realm. It's what lead us to start our first podcast, our satellite podcasts, Fanthropological, and so much more.
We want to help others learn more about different fandoms, and to create empathy with other fans: We dream of a world where other fans aren't "those Weird-o's", but just folks with different tastes. A world where fandom is full of discourse and analysis, and there are plenty of tools and resources to help. Fans building communities to do good in the world. *Because everyone's a fan.*
Special thanks to Tyler for being patient with us as we sorted out multiple technical difficulties!
- [Google Trends - Walt Disney World](https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%2Fm%2F09b1k,%2Fm%2F02fzs,%2Fm%2F04tkqm)
- [Know DW.com - Walking Distance At Disney World](http://knowdw.com/theme-parks/walking-distance-disney-world/)
- [Orlando Rising - Theme park demographics changing: Higher incomes and more millennials](http://orlando-rising.com/theme-park-demographics-changing-higher-incomes-and-more-millennials/)
- [Quora - What are some failed Disney park rides and attractions?](https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-failed-Disney-park-rides-and-attractions)
- [LA Times - This is your brain on Disneyland: A Disney addict's quest to discover why he loves the parks so much](http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-disneyland-psychology-20170707-htmlstory.html)
- [Quora - How many Disney theme parks exist around the world and, of them, which are the most visitor friendly and why?](https://www.quora.com/How-many-Disney-theme-parks-exist-around-the-world-and-of-them-which-are-the-most-visitor-friendly-and-why)
- [WDW News Today](https://wdwnt.com/)
- [r/WaltDisneyWorld - Analyzing the Pending Fox Acquisition and it's Impact on Walt Disney World](https://www.reddit.com/r/WaltDisneyWorld/comments/7ndhmf/analyzing_the_pending_fox_acquisition_and_its/)
- [r/AskReddit - Redditors Who've Worked (Or Who Are Still Working) at Disney World. What Are Some NSFW Behind the Scenes Stories do You Have?](https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/5oqedm/redditors_whove_worked_or_who_are_still_working/)
- [r/WaltDisneyWorld - With Disney Buying Fox, What Sort of New Attractions Do You Think We'll Get?](https://www.reddit.com/r/WaltDisneyWorld/comments/7jrvve/with_disney_buying_fox_what_sort_of_new/)
- [r/WaltDisneyWorld - New Life for Brazil Pavillion with Purchase of Fox's Movie/TV Division?](https://www.reddit.com/r/WaltDisneyWorld/comments/7lwfjb/new_life_for_brazil_pavillion_with_purchase_of/)
- [r/WaltDisneyWorld - I Need Help Convincing My Husband That WDW Is Amazing!](https://www.reddit.com/r/WaltDisneyWorld/comments/7leu29/i_need_help_convincing_my_husband_that_wdw_is/)
- [r/WaltDisneyWorld - What Happened to the Vision?](https://www.reddit.com/r/WaltDisneyWorld/comments/8mvdqt/what_happened_to_the_vision/)
- [r/WaltDisneyWorld - Strangely Unexcited for my First Visit](https://www.reddit.com/r/WaltDisneyWorld/comments/69vqpj/strangely_unexcited_for_my_first_visit/)
- [r/WaltDisneyWorld - First Time Visiting. How is WDW for Those with Mental Illnesses?](https://www.reddit.com/r/WaltDisneyWorld/comments/5yczpi/first_time_visiting_how_is_wdw_for_those_with/)
- [r/WaltDisneyWorld - First Time Back to WDW Since I was 5....Results](https://www.reddit.com/r/WaltDisneyWorld/comments/3vqtby/first_time_back_to_wdw_since_i_was_5results/)
- [Unofficial Walt Disney World Discussion Forums - Is Walt Disney Imagineering Dead?](https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/is-walt-disney-imagineering-dead.939095/#post-8128186)
- [Unofficial Walt Disney World Discussion Forums - Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout Announced for Disney California Adventure](https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/guardians-of-the-galaxy-mission-breakout-announced-for-disney-california-adventure.915850/page-7#post-7325786)
- [Unofficial Walt Disney World Discussion Forums - Tomorrowland Dance Party](https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tomorrowland-dance-party.899350/page-3#post-6692054)
- [Unofficial Walt Disney World Discussion Forums - Guardians of the Galaxy Attraction Confirmed for Epcot](https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/guardians-of-the-galaxy-attraction-confirmed-for-epcot.929265/page-102#post-7858696)
### Music / Sound
- ["A Whole New World with Piano"](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqrVEACfuT8) by TeknoAXE
- ["Secret of Tiki Island"](https://incompetech.com/wordpress/2016/07/5-new-pieces/) by Kevin MacLeod and Bryan Teoh
- All other music and sound for this week's episode were provided by Nick Green!
- ["Glasses"](https://thenounproject.com/term/glasses/132894) by [Anton Anuchin](https://thenounproject.com/antonwebium) used under [CC BY 3.0](http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/)