[// Pregenerate link to episode ahead of time: - clicktotweet.com- sharelinkgenerator.com]: #
This week, in honour of International Women's Day, we're talking about an important fandom in the DC Comics universe. We're talking about that founding member of the Justice League, goddess, and Ambassador-at-Large of the Amazon people: Wonder Woman!
And can you spot the swirls of cinnamon and sugar in every minute of next week's podcast? We'll be talking about fans of ... Breakfast Cereal?
## Episode outline
### Fandom Facts
**History and Origins:**
Wonder Woman is a character in the DC Comics universe and is a founding member of the Justice League. Her official title is Princess Diana of Themyscira, Daughter of Hippolyta but when blending into society outside of her homeland, she adopts the identity _Diana Prince_. She has several heroic abilities including superhuman strength, speed, durability, and longevity, accelerated healing factor, flight, and possesses a variety of interesting technology such as the Lasso of Truth, indestructible bracelets, and a tiara that she often uses as a projectile.
Originally developed in 1941, she was created by American psychologist William Moulton Marston and artist Harry G Peter, and was heavily influenced by Olive Byrne, Marston's lover, his wife, Elizabeth Marston, and early feminists.
Wonder Woman has been depicted in various media including the 1975 TV series, many animated series, and most recently, the 2017 movie.
Strangely, the most search data seems to be around Diana Prince rather than her superheroic name. That being said, [interest in the character had been almost flat (slight increase in interest)](https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%2Fm%2F0sc7q) until approximately 2016 when there was a much more noticeable increase in interest (and notably, with the release of the 2017 movie as well).
The top ten countries, by search volume, are: Puerto Rico, Brazil, Phillipines, United States, Singapore, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Taiwan, United Kingdom.
Looking at Facebook data, [Brett Schenker dug into fans of Wonder Woman](http://www.comicsbeat.com/demographics-wonder-woman-around-the-world/) to draw some interesting data:
- Overall, men made up about 52% of the population in the various countries, but accounted for almost 57% of the Wonder Woman fans
- Most female Wonder Woman fans: South Korea (72%)
- Most male Wonder Woman fans: India (88%)
- Archive of Our Own has over 800 fan works related to Wonder Woman
- The majority of which are categorized as F/M (471)
- The _vast_ majority deal with DC universe
- Top 3 pairings: Diana / Trevor (247), Diana / Bruce Wayne (69), Diana / Steve Rogers (57)
### [Last Episode's](http://fanthropological.com/e/monty-python-fans-fans-and-toast-fans-and-eggs-fans-and-ham-fans-fans-fans/) Famous Last Words
As we found in the Barbie episode... is there a Wonder Woman fan who strives to look like Wonder Woman (to the extreme)?
Is Wonder Woman more popular with men, or women?
At what point did she lose her bizarre weaknesses (and was that influenced by the times)?
[// About equal in popularity between men and women ]: #
[// Aphrodite's Law: Not too long after her early incarnation; Marston liked bondage, and used Wonder Woman a bit as his opinion piece. Apparently, was tossed out at the start of the 'modern age' of comics in the 80s ]: #
Are there fans out there who see Wonder Woman as an American patriotic symbol? If so, how does that work?
### The Verdict
[// I'm not going to ignore the fact that it's 3 dudes talking about feminism / wonder woman, often talking about issues's affecting women ]: #
**T is in.** Hope is a very powerful motivator... and Wonder Woman has a lot of hope.
**Z is out.**
**G is in.** Will probably investigate some of the recent titles.
### This week's spotlight
**[International Women's Day](https://www.internationalwomensday.com/)**
> International Women's Day (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.
> International Women's Day (IWD) has been observed since the early 1900's - a time of great expansion and turbulence in the industrialized world that saw booming population growth and the rise of radical ideologies. International Women's Day is a collective day of global celebration and a call for gender parity. No one government, NGO, charity, corporation, academic institution, women's network or media hub is solely responsible for International Women's Day. Many organizations declare an annual IWD theme that supports their specific agenda or cause, and some of these are adopted more widely with relevance than others.
> — [International Women's Day](https://www.internationalwomensday.com/About)
[// Plugs go here ]: #
### Famous Last Words
This week's famous last words around *next week's* fandom, Breakfast Cereals!
Cinnamon toast crunch is the internet's favourite cereal.
Out of all the cereals in all the world... has the most complex song-of-ice-and-fire style background story (the mascot)?
How divisive is the fandom?
[// Captain Crunch video games ]: #
## Where can you find us online?
We are everywhere! Most notably though, we like to hang out in a few places on social media:
- If you want to help us to create more amazing fannish content, become a patron on [Patreon](http://patreon.com/thenickscast); even as little as a dollar a month pledge really helps us out!
- If you want to be part of our podcast (or just want to check us out), we record our podcast LIVE on [twitch.tv](http://twitch.tv/thenickscast) every Monday at 20:00 Eastern Time!
- For all the latest updates, check us out on [Facebook](https://facebook.com/thenickscast) or [Twitter](https://twitter.com/thenickscast)
- To see the latest hijinx from our conventions or even our daily lives and adventures, check us out on [Instagram](https://instagram.com/thenickscast)
- For our latest convention updates, *Let's Plays*, and other in-real-life video, [check out our YouTube channel](http://youtube.com/thenickscast)
- We're also on [iTunes](https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/fanthropological/id1163621210), and [Google Play](https://play.google.com/music/m/Icmngxz7yhaoivdvivvf6q6c2pu?t=Fanthropological), and would love it if you could leave a review and rating!
- if you want to reach us, and for some reason none of those work for you, try [[email protected]
- You can check out [our website](http://thenickscast.com); that will mostly bring you back to this stuff.
- Everything is `thenickscast`, so if you can't find us, go on your social network and search for that!
## What is "Fanthropological"?
How did you read this far without asking this question?!
Fanthropological is an anthropological (ish) podcast where we bring the fan's-eye view to you! Each week, we take a look at a different fandom, dig up interesting background, trivia, and history, and try to get to why it is that people are a fan. We also try to highlight good causes related to that fandom, and find interesting things that fans have created to share those to the world. Each episode is about an hour. Ish.
## Who is "The Nickscast"?
*We* are the Nickscast! Three products of late-80s / early-90s pop culture who love exploring fandom and everything geek ... who also happen to have been best buddies since high school, and all happen to be named Nick. Yes, we are super creative (dare we say, the _most_ creative).
We are Nick Green, Nick Terwoord, and Nick Zacharewicz: We started the Nickscast as a labour of love, and as a place to entertain and to discuss our love of fans and fandom, and all that is shiny and interesting in that realm. It's what lead us to start our first podcast, our satellite podcasts, Fanthropological, and so much more.
We want to help others learn more about different fandoms, and to create empathy with other fans: We dream of a world where other fans aren't "those Weird-o's", but just folks with different tastes. A world where fandom is full of discourse and analysis, and there are plenty of tools and resources to help. Fans building communities to do good in the world. *Because everyone's a fan.*
Any special thanks; usually to guest.
- [Wikipedia - Wonder Woman](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman)
- [Wikipedia - Cultural Impact of Wonder Woman](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_impact_of_Wonder_Woman)
- [Google Trends - Diana Prince](https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%2Fm%2F0sc7q)
- [ComicsBeat - Demographics: Wonder Woman Around the World](http://www.comicsbeat.com/demographics-wonder-woman-around-the-world/)
- [SciFi StackExchange - Is Wonder Woman's only weakness being bound by a man?](https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/83963/is-wonder-womans-only-weakness-being-bound-by-a-man)
- [Kinja - To Be Human: Why I Love Wonder Woman](https://tay.kinja.com/to-be-human-why-i-love-wonder-woman-1796614969)
- [Fanlore - Wonder Woman](https://fanlore.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman)
- [Business Insider - Why “Wonder Woman” Matters to Women - And is Changing Movies](http://www.businessinsider.com/wonder-woman-matters-to-women-movies-2017-6)
- [Cinema Blend - Why Wonder Woman Fans Are Arguing About Gal Gadot’s Armpits](https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1637619/why-wonder-woman-fans-are-arguing-about-gal-gadots-armpits)
- [Crave - Why Have Wonder Woman’s Pants Been Officially Doffed?](http://www.craveonline.com/site/171987-wonder-womans-pants-officially-doffed)
- [Daily Mail - Military Dentist Dubbed Real-Life Wonder Woman](http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4966900/Military-dentist-dubbed-real-life-Wonder-Woman.html)
- [Elite Readers - Meet the Cosplayer Who Can Remarkably Transform Herself into Anyone](https://www.elitereaders.com/alyson-tabbitha-video-game-anime-cosplay/)
- [Entertainment Weekly - Wonder Woman Fans are Hiding Swords in their Dresses](http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/15/wonder-woman-fans-swords-in-dresses/)
- [ET Canada - “Wonder Woman” Fans Furious Over Amazons’ Over-Sexualized “Justice League” Outfits: “Completely Implausible”](https://etcanada.com/news/271273/wonder-woman-fans-slam-amazons-over-sexualized-justice-league-outfits-completely-implausible/)
- [Facebook - Wonder Woman Fans](https://www.facebook.com/Wonder-Woman-Fans-104332712993858/)
- [Fanlore - Wonder Woman](https://fanlore.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman)
- [Film School Rejects - Boiling Point: Wonder Woman Sucks, That’s Why](https://filmschoolrejects.com/boiling-point-wonder-woman-sucks-thats-why-a62f50a3e54c/)
- [India - This Girl’s Transformation Into Wonder Woman And Captain Jack Sparrow Will Leave You Amazed](http://www.india.com/buzz/this-girls-transformation-into-wonder-woman-and-captain-jack-sparrow-will-leave-you-amazed-2529131/)
- [r/WonderWoman - Home](https://www.reddit.com/r/WonderWoman/)
- [r/WonderWoman - Wonder Woman [Nubia] by Terry Alec](https://www.reddit.com/r/WonderWoman/comments/7opcbn/wonder_woman_nubia_by_terry_alec/)
- [The Gloss - Beauty Trends From History: How to Shave without a Razor](http://www.thegloss.com/beauty/beauty-trends-from-history-how-to-shave-without-a-razor-344/)
- [The Mary Sue - DC Has No Idea What We Love About Wonder Woman, Introduces New Comic Arc About Diana’s Brother](https://www.themarysue.com/stop-trying-to-make-wonder-woman-about-men/)
- [Tumblr | Agent Verbivore - Empathy and Compassion in Wonder Woman](https://agentverbivore.tumblr.com/post/161413128468/my-favorite-thematic-message-of-wonder-woman-and)
- [Tumblr | Perichat - Wonder Woman is not an Example of the Born Sexy Yesterday Trope](http://perichat.tumblr.com/post/161529153606/would-you-rant-more-on-the-differences-between-the)
- [UN News Centre - “Wonder Woman” appointed UN honorary Ambassador for the Empowerment of Women and Girls](http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=55367#.WniBiOdG1PY)
- [YouTube - Wonder Woman was Based on this Real-Life Lady](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H98Q44vwxbk)
### Music / Sound
- ["A Hero Steps Forward"](http://teknoaxe.com/Link_Code_4.php?q=882&Genre=Action) by TeknoAXE used under [CC BY 4.0](http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
- All other music and sound for this week's episode were provided by Nick Green!
- ["Glasses"](https://thenounproject.com/term/glasses/132894) by [Anton Anuchin](https://thenounproject.com/antonwebium) used under [CC BY 3.0](http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/)
- [“Wonder Woman”](https://thenounproject.com/term/wonder-woman/23141/) by [Ben King](https://thenounproject.com/Kinger) used under [CC BY 3.0](http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/)