What kind of obscure lore will we unearth about Sonic "the" Hedgehog (Or is it Sonic "Maurice" Hedgehog)? Only time will tell, unless you're too slow! Fortunately, we have special guest Matt (AKA SonicMTD) to help us out!
And that wraps up Season 8! Join us in a few short weeks as we return with the beginning of Season 9! What changes will occur? How rad will our beards be? Do people say rad anymore?
In any case, the episodes will keep on coming, they just won't be live until we're back. So until next time... we'll see you next time!
## Where can I learn more about Matt (AKA SonicMTD)?
If you'd like to hear more from Matt or check out his work, you're in luck!
- His YouTube: https://youtube.com/SonicMTD
- His Twitter: https://twitter.com/SonicMTD
- His Facebook: https://facebook.com/SonicMTD
## Episode outline
### Fandom Facts
**History and Origins:**
> Sonic the Hedgehog is a media franchise created and produced by Sega. It is primarily a video game franchise, centering on a series of speed-based platform games. Sonic, the protagonist, is an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog with supersonic speed, capable of reaching the speed of sound. Typically, Sonic—usually along with some of his friends, such as Tails, Amy, and Knuckles—must stop antagonist Doctor Eggman's plans for world domination.
> The first game in the series, released in 1991, was conceived by Sega's Sonic Team division after Sega requested a mascot character. Its success spawned many sequels and helped Sega become one of the leading video game companies during the 16-bit era of the early 1990s.
> While the first Sonic games were side-scrolling platform games, later games expanded into other genres, such as Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. The series had sold over 80 million physical copies by June 2011, and grossed over $5 billion by 2014. As of 2017, the series has shifted 360 million units, including software package sales and mobile game downloads. The franchise has also been spun out into other media, including cartoons, anime, and a comic book series recognized as the longest running based on a video game by Guinness World Records.
> — [Wikipedia - Sonic the Hedgehog](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog)
Based on search data, Sonic the Hedgehog has been [slowly declining in popularity](https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%2Fm%2F08b26_,%2Fm%2F07656) since 2004. Strangely though, there was a swell of interest from 2004 'til the present peaking around August 2009.
The following is a list of top ten countries for _Sonic the Hedgehog_ (by search volume): Australia, United States, India, United Kingdom, Philippines, Germany, Indonesia, Sweden, Canada, Switzerland.
We managed to find a few different fan surveys that had been conducted. From [the unofficial Sonic the Hedgehog survey](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/7may60/the_official_unofficial_sonic_the_hedgehog_survey/) with over 300 responses, we have some data points:
- Top three games: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (24.9%), Sonic Adventure 2 (15%), Sonic 3 & Knuckles (14.6%)
- Bottom three games: Sonic Boom - Rise of Lyric (31.5%), Sonic 06 (19.9%), Shadow the Hedgehog (7.5%)
- Favourite character: Sonic (29.6%)
- Least favourite character: The Deadly Six (32.7%)
- Favourite vocal theme: Live and Learn (20.9%)
And [from the subreddit](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/8hly52/the_reddit_redesign_survey_results_and_some_other/) (unclear how many responses):
- _Gender:_ 9 Men to every 1 woman who responded
- _Age:_ Folks age 14 to 23 make up 80.7%. Average age was 19.5
- _Introductory game:_ The original trilogy (39.4%)
**Fanac Fast Facts:**
- FanFiction.net has over [30 000 Sonic the Hedgehog Fanfics](https://www.fanfiction.net/game/Sonic-the-Hedgehog/). Sadly, that data is hard to break down, but fortunately Archive Of Our Own has [over 2000 fanworks](https://archiveofourown.org/tags/Sonic%20the%20Hedgehog%20-%20All%20Media%20Types/works)
- ...Most of which are rated General Audiences (37%) or Teen and Up (37%)
- ...The top three categories are Gen (35%), M/M (33%), and F/M (23%)
- ...The top three characters are Sonic (64%), Shadow (37%), and Tails (30%)
- ...The top three relationships are Shadow / Sonic (12%), Rose / Sonic (6%), and Metal Sonic / Sonic (3%)
- The Sonic Boom TV series makes direct reference to the Sonic fandom in [an episode with _Nominatus_](https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/8jlpb4/sonic_is_aware_of_his_fandom/). _Nominatus_ says "Who dares oppose Nominatus, viral sensation and destructor of worlds?". Amy replies "Viral sensation? You mean like the cute sneezing panda?" and Sonic replies "Or all those weird pictures of me?"
### [Last Episode's](http://fanthropological.com/e/3694ef99e8c796/) Famous Last Words
What part of Sonic do folks latch onto? Is it that he goes fast? Is it the 90s?
How important is the music?
Sonic the Hedgehog has a mess of canon... but he loves chili dogs. Do chili dogs hold any particular significance to fans? Do they consume them in fan gatherings?
How do the fans feel about Sonic appearing in Wreck It Ralph? Is that him selling out?
- [// Seems like folks are chomping at the bit for more Sonic, even bad Sonic (and even then, that just makes more communities). People are loving it]: #
What are the most favourite and least favourite of Sonic's sidekicks?
- [// Didn't find a direct answer, but based on survey, probably Shadow (13.4%), Tails (11.5%), Knuckles (9.3%). Least fav? Charmy the Bee (13.7%) ]: #
### This week's spotlight
> The Sonic Marathon is a sometimes yearly tradition here at Respawn Point, every year we gather together and set aside an entire week with one shared goal: to raise some money for charity while bashing our heads against as many Sonic the Hedgehog games as we possibly can. The marathon runs for 7 days straight starting February 10th with no breaks. ...
> We'll be playing every main line Sonic game and as many side games we can squeeze in. You can find the complete list further down. This year the charity of choice is SpecialEffect; They work with people suffering from various disabilities that would otherwise stop them from playing video games and interacting with the world around them. Special Effect do their best to come up with creative solutions using technology that enable them to enjoy the world and this wonderful hobby we all take for granted. ...
> — [Sonic Marathon](http://sonicmarathon.com/)
It is unclear as to whether or not it will run in 2019, but you can check out [@RPMarathons](https://twitter.com/RPMarathons) on twitter for potential updates.
**[You're Too Show](http://youretooshow.com/)**
> Zane-Huett and Splendorr host the weekly podcast You're Too Show, described by itself as an "investigation into the silly world of Sonic." Zane-Huett and Splendorr pitch it to me as an educational type of podcast, where instead of them being the sort of academic-professor types spouting knowledge, they're learning about Sonic right alongside the listener. Their project isn't unlike many creatives in the Sonic fandom: only they're wielding words instead of pens.
> — [USGamer - The People Who Never Gave up on Sonic: A Deep Dive Into the Most Curious (and Passionate) Fandom on the Internet](https://www.usgamer.net/articles/sonic-fandom-deep-dive)
**[Sonic - The Fan Film](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtCtQpclpY8)**
> The intention of making this film was for it to be a spec film, with the primary purpose being to show a live-action take on Sonic the Hedgehog.
If you haven't seen it before, it's just under 20 minutes AND features Jaleel White (aka Urkel and one of the original voices of Sonic)!
- [// Plugs go here]: #
### Famous Last Words
What do you want to see in next season of _Fanthropological_ or with _the Nickscast_?
Season 9 will be the season that we start to hit our stride and find our voice.
Next season, we might get to the end of an episode without having a case of the sillies.
Next season, we are going to have an episode with five Nicks.
It would be nice to have more about Western fandoms. Lots of things that have gone uncovered (i.e. M.A.S.H).
Would like to see us have continued successful growth... and more renown. Would like to see the Nickscast to the point where you have a justified fan audience (i.e. Live Nickscast at a convention... on the road).
## Where can you find us online?
We are everywhere! Most notably though, we like to hang out in a few places on social media:
- If you want to be part of our podcast (or just want to check us out), we record our podcast LIVE on [twitch.tv](http://twitch.tv/thenickscast)!
- For all the latest updates, check us out on [Facebook](https://facebook.com/thenickscast) or [Twitter](https://twitter.com/thenickscast)
- To see the latest hijinx from our conventions or even our daily lives and adventures, check us out on [Instagram](https://instagram.com/thenickscast)
- For our latest convention updates and other in-real-life video, [check out our YouTube channel](http://youtube.com/thenickscast)
- Do you use [Spotify](https://open.spotify.com/show/2IVp8MBIUyCqlKyZn79iHn)? Well, we're on there too!
- We're also on [iTunes](https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/fanthropological/id1163621210), and [Google Play](https://play.google.com/music/m/Icmngxz7yhaoivdvivvf6q6c2pu?t=Fanthropological), and would love it if you could leave a review and rating!
- if you want to reach us, and for some reason none of those work for you, try [[email protected]
- You can check out [our website](http://thenickscast.com); that will mostly bring you back to this stuff.
- Everything is `thenickscast`, so if you can't find us, go on your social network and search for that!
## What is "Fanthropological"?
How did you read this far without asking this question?!
Fanthropological is an anthropological (ish) podcast where we bring the fan's-eye view to you! Each week, we take a look at a different fandom, dig up interesting background, trivia, and history, and try to get to why it is that people are a fan. We also try to highlight good causes related to that fandom, and find interesting things that fans have created to share those to the world. Each episode is about an hour. Ish.
## Who is "The Nickscast"?
*We* are the Nickscast! Three products of late-80s / early-90s pop culture who love exploring fandom and everything geek ... who also happen to have been best buddies since high school, and all happen to be named Nick. Yes, we are super creative (dare we say, the _most_ creative).
We are Nick Green, Nick Terwoord, and Nick Zacharewicz: We started the Nickscast as a labour of love, and as a place to entertain and to discuss our love of fans and fandom, and all that is shiny and interesting in that realm. It's what lead us to start our first podcast, our satellite podcasts, Fanthropological, and so much more.
We want to help others learn more about different fandoms, and to create empathy with other fans: We dream of a world where other fans aren't "those Weird-o's", but just folks with different tastes. A world where fandom is full of discourse and analysis, and there are plenty of tools and resources to help. Fans building communities to do good in the world. *Because everyone's a fan.*
- [Wikipedia - Sonic the Hedgehog](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog)
- [Reddit - Sonic the Hedgehog](https://old.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/)
- [Discord - /r/SonicTheHedgehog](https://discordapp.com/invite/sonic)
- [Google Trends - Sonic the Hedgehog (game series) vs Sonic the Hedgehog (character)](https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=%2Fm%2F08b26_,%2Fm%2F07656)
- [FanFiction.net - Sonic the Hedgehog](https://www.fanfiction.net/game/Sonic-the-Hedgehog/)
- [Archive Of Our Own](https://archiveofourown.org/tags/Sonic%20the%20Hedgehog%20-%20All%20Media%20Types/works)
- [r/gaming - Sonic is aware of his fandom](https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/8jlpb4/sonic_is_aware_of_his_fandom/)
- [YouTube - The Tragic History of Sonic’s Fandom - The Fandom Files](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5SAMhHh2JE)
- [r/SonicTheHedgehog - The Official Unofficial Sonic The Hedgehog Survey](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/7may60/the_official_unofficial_sonic_the_hedgehog_survey/)
- [r/SonicTheHedgehog - The reddit redesign, survey results, and some other boring ramblings.](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/8hly52/the_reddit_redesign_survey_results_and_some_other/)
- [YouTube - What's up With: The Sonic the Hedgehog Fandom!](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c9_NAZeEdY)
- [USGamer - The People Who Never Gave up on Sonic: A Deep Dive Into the Most Curious (and Passionate) Fandom on the Internet](https://www.usgamer.net/articles/sonic-fandom-deep-dive)
- [Sonic Wikia - The Fastest Thing Alive](http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Fastest_Thing_Alive)
- [Sonic Wikia - Sonic Boom](http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Boom_(song))
- [Fanlore - Sonic the Hedgehog (franchise)](https://fanlore.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(franchise))
- [Game Skinny - Gaming Grub: How To Make Sonic's Chili Dog](https://www.gameskinny.com/m64ms/gaming-grub-how-to-make-sonics-chili-dog)
- [Gamefaqs - Did Sonic always canonically love chili-dogs?](https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/627224-sonic-generations/63667072)
- [Grape - Sonic the Hedgehog And Hooters Japan Team Up For Chili Dog Campaign](https://grapee.jp/en/87752)
- [Quora - Article Title](https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-hate-Sonic)
- [Quora - Article Title](https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Mario-continue-to-be-lighthearted-goofy-and-kid-friendly-while-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-tries-way-too-hard-to-be-dark-edgy-and-mature)
- [Quora - How Can Mario's Friends get a Free Pass and be Considered good but Sonic the Hedgehog's Friends are among the most Despised Elements of the Sonic Franchise?](https://www.quora.com/How-can-Marios-friends-get-a-free-pass-and-be-considered-good-but-Sonic-the-Hedgehogs-friends-are-among-the-most-despised-elements-of-the-Sonic-franchise)
- [Quora - Is it Okay to Still like Sonic the Hedgehog Even Though It's a Dead Franchise?](https://www.quora.com/Is-it-okay-to-still-like-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-even-though-its-a-dead-franchise)
- [r/sonic - IGN vs Sonic and Why it Happened](https://www.reddit.com/r/sonic/comments/4w3q8y/ign_vs_sonic_and_why_it_happened/)
- [r/sonic - In your Opinion, Which is Best and Why? Sonic TV, Games, or Comics?](https://www.reddit.com/r/sonic/comments/1h2joi/in_your_opinion_which_is_best_and_why_sonic_tv/)
- [r/sonic - Weekly Sonic Discussion #3 (Why do You like the Sonic Franchise?)](https://www.reddit.com/r/sonic/comments/455rli/weekly_sonic_discussion_3_why_do_you_like_the/)
- [r/SonicTheHedgehog - Why do I get mild anxiety when looking at Sonic?](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/4zzc4d/why_do_i_get_mild_anxiety_when_looking_at_sonic/)
- [r/SonicTheHedgehog - Made a video where I actually...](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/5mghn4/made_a_video_where_i_actually_took_the_time_to/)
- [r/SonicTheHedgehog - After a Quarter Century What is it about Sonic](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/73c1re/after_a_quarter_century_what_is_it_about_sonic_as/)
- [r/SonicTheHedgehog - In Defense of Shipping Canon Characters](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/7buh60/in_defense_of_shipping_canon_characters_and_fan/)
- [r/SonicTheHedgehog - Sonic Statue Spotted at LGBT Pride Event](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/8oqv2g/sonic_statue_spotted_at_lgbt_pride_event_also/)
- [r/SonicTheHedgehog - Sonic will appear in Wreck it Ralph 2](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/9b9be5/sonic_will_appear_in_wreck_it_ralph_2/)
- [r/SonicTheHedgehog - Okay Guys, I’ve been Trying to Figure this out for almost 10 Years Pls Help](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/756xj4/okay_guys_ive_been_trying_to_figure_this_out_for/)
- [r/SonicTheHedgehog - When did Sonic the Hedgehog start liking Chili Dogs so Much?](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/22dpuj/when_did_sonic_the_hedgehog_start_liking_chili/)
- [r/SonicTheHedgehog - Why Is Sonic so Lovable?](https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/6y4ts8/why_is_sonic_so_loveable/)
- [Sonic Stadium Message Board - Why Does Sonic Eat Chili Dogs](https://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/22615-why-does-sonic-eat-chili-dogs/)
- [Sonic Wikia - Chili Dog](http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Chili_dog)
- [TV Tropes - Sonic the Hedgehog / Fanfic Recs](https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanficRecs/SonicTheHedgehog) [try to find patterns!]
- [Wikipedia - Chili Dog](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_dog)
- [Wikipedia - Sonic Drive-In](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Drive-In)
- [YouTube - Why Do People Still Like Sonic?](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U26a0nwK9fM)
### Music / Sound
- ["Odyssey Stratosphere"](http://teknoaxe.com/Link_Code_3.php?q=1092) by TeknoAXE used under [CC BY 4.0](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
- All other music and sound for this week's episode were provided by Nick Green!